Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Woman Makes Muffins and Decides to Tinker with Recipe

Yesterday Kaylee and I went to the Oxford Spa for lunch and I ordered a pumpkin ginger muffin for her.

It was fabulous. The texture was perfect and soft, and it wasn't too sweet like most muffins and scones are around here. Most wonderful of all, each bite had the soft bite of fresh ginger. I asked if they give out recipes, and they did say that it wasn't their own recipe. But then the guy quickly avoided the subject and let it drop.

So, I did many google searches and came up with this recipe on epicurious.com. I made it this morning and I think I'm going to make a few more changes. I did not put the nuts in the muffin and I dropped the pumpkin seeds entirely. I sprinkled a few walnuts over the tops of half of them. The muffins came out lovely, but I want that almost crunch of the ginger, like the one I had yesterday. So, I think I'll use frozen fresh ginger. It grates a lot better than room temperature ginger, and I think I'll be able to get the shred size I want, and I'd use at least 1/4 cup instead of just a couple of teaspoons. The muffins (when eaten way too hot) were slightly custard-like in texture. I may cut down on the pumpkin to get a better crumb.

I'll experiment next week and post here.

No comments: