Saturday, January 19, 2008

Rosie's Award Winning Brownies Go Gluten Free

I had been dreading trying this recipe out with my new gluten free techniques. I LOVE the original so much that I just figured I'd sneak out and eat them when I needed them. *I* can have gluten, I just don't ever cook with at at home for fear of cross contaminating something my son might eat/put in his mouth. He's four, and he still puts stuff in his mouth.

I finally made them with very few changes and they taste almost exactly like the ones I made before from the Rosie's cookbook.

Hopefully this isn't a copyright infringement because I changed the ingredients around a bit. Rosie/Judy if you find this, let me know. But remember you used to live downstairs from me on Shepard Street and I used to decorate Babycakes boxes for you in 1976.

Rosie's Award Winning Brownies -- GLUTEN FREE!

1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 sticks butter
4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
3 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp xanthan gum
3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp Annalise Robert's Food Philosopher's gluten free flour mix
1/4 tsp salt

preheat oven to 350 and line a 9x9 baking pan with parchment paper and spray with canola oil

Melt the chocolate and butter over a low double boiler. Allow to cool for at least 5 minutes.

Pour chocolate butter mix over sugar in large bowl of electric mixer and mix on medium until well blended.

Add the vanilla and mix

Add the eggs one at a time, mixing between each one until well blended About 10-20 seconds each

Put in the "flour" salt and xanthan gum

Mix on low and finish mixing by hand

Put in a 9x9 baking dish

Bake for 25-30 minutes until a soft crust forms over the top. They taste best completely cooled, especially on the 2nd day.

No comments: